It’s that time of year again. Stores are beginning to play Christmas music. Santa Claus is starting to show up, even in Walmart. And the Black Friday sales are right around the corner. The enjoyment of this season has even hit my own home; yes, my wife is adamant about listening to Christmas music as soon as November is here. If you asked her, she would quickly tell you I am not in favor of all this Christmas celebration so early in November. But I am not just another Scrooge or Grinch–I absolutely love Christmas. I mean who doesn’t? It’s the time of year for family, friends, gifts, food (and lots of it) and the time to remember when God’s only Son, Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world, was born as a humble babe in Bethlehem. Although my love for Christmas is great, I do have a bit of disdain for the season starting so early. Why? Because in my view, a premature focus on Christmas causes us to overlook one of the greatest holiday seasons of the year…Thanksgiving. So in honor of the Thanksgiving season I thought it would be appropriate to share 50 reasons I have to be thankful this year. I will share 25 this week and 25 next week…
50 Reasons I am Thankful this year #50-26
I am thankful:
50) To know the God of the universe.
49) I live in America, a country known for its freedom.
48) For a healthy body.
47) To have a car that is in good condition and runs well.
46) To know I will have food to eat tomorrow morning.
45) For the food I have had to eat today.
44) For God’s provision of a job.
43) For a job that I enjoy.
42) To live close to where I work.
41) To live in a city with police officers.
40) For a family that loves me.
39) For parents that sacrificed so much to raise me.
38) That my parents cared for me from infancy through adulthood.
37) To have three grandparents still living.
36) Not to have dealt with death much in my family.
35) For siblings who made growing up fun.
34) For an older brother who has stayed in touch over the years.
33) For an older sister who taught me a love for horror movies.
32) That one set of grandparents lived within two miles of my childhood home.
31) To have had good friends throughout my entire life.
30) For Calvary Christian School, where I attended elementary and middle school.
29) My friends’ families who treated me as their own child growing up.
28) For modern comforts, like indoor plumbing, heating, and air conditioning.
27) That I enjoy exercising my body.
26) For the church families that God has provided throughout the years (Calvary Baptist, Summit Baptist Bible, Cornerstone, First Baptist, and Denbigh Baptist).
These are the first 25 of 50 things for which I am thankful. Stop by again next week for the final 25. Until then, please add to the list items that you are thankful for this year. Let’s make much of Thanksgiving this year as we anticipate the celebration of the coming of the King of King and Lord of Lords, Jesus Christ, this Christmas.