With Christmas just over a week away, I want to continue the series on Rediscovering Christmas. If you missed part 1 you can read it here: Rediscovering Christmas: Lay Hold of Hope. So without further ado, here is part 2:
Be Awestruck with Glory – The Story of Angels & Shepherds – Luke 2:8-20
The Uncommon Announcement – The Angels – vs. 8-14
- There was a Personal Proclamation by An Angel.
- He terrified the shepherds by his appearance.
- He comforted the shepherds by his words.
- He informed the shepherds of the good news. – Luke 2:32
- He directed the shepherds to the Messiah.
- There was Passionate Praise by the Angels
- They proclaimed God’s glory. – Hebrews 1
- They announced the possibility of peace.
- They declared God’s grace.
The Unlikely Witnesses – The Shepherds – vs. 15-20
- Who were the shepherds?
- They were the outcasts of society.
- They were ceremonially unclean.
- They were receptive to the message.
- Why did God choose the shepherds?
- God calls the poor and lowly. – Luke 1:51-53; 1 Corinthians 1:26-29; James 2:5
- What can we learn from the shepherds?
- They responded to the message.
- They came and saw.
- They went and told.
- They returned and lived their faith.
- When awestruck with glory, do you allow the message of Christmas to bring about true life change seen in eagerness to worship and witness? – Acts 4:19-20
Rediscovering Christmas series will conclude next week. In case you missed Part 1: Lay Hold of Hope, catch it here.
***Sermon preached by Pastor Rick Wilson at Denbigh Baptist Church December 8th, 2013.***